According to AdWeek:
Facebook friendships may improve real friendships, according to new research. Findings released in a Euro RSCG-commissioned white paper yesterday stated that 27.6 percent of American social media users said that their offline relationships are actually benefiting from online interaction via social media.
That is definitely true for me. I was saying on Twitter the other day that for the first time in my life, I’m not totally terrified of moving. (Don’t worry, Mom, I’m not going anywhere!) I have a few friends who are moving, and every time that happens, I always think, “What if we have to move? I know everyone here. I know how everything works!” And I get anxious…
But now, I tell myself, “I know someone in every state now, the world is my small town!” Now, don’t get me wrong, I don’t want to move, but I always run these scenarios in my head. My mom, however, would be thrilled if I moved closer to her, right Mom?
Anyway, all that to say that meeting my bloggy buddies in person is such a treat! It really puts the “social” in social media! Conferences can instill a certain anxiety at first, if you’re not sure what to expect. Blissdom ’09 was my first conference, and it was amazing, overwhelming, and nerve-wracking at the same time!
I’ve come to anticipate conferences with joy now that I’ve been to a couple. And although I’m not a complete conference expert (far from it), I’d like to share a few things I’ve learned on preparing for a conference.
- Bring a wide range of clothes, from casual to semi-formal. Anything you are comfortable wearing, and will make you feel confident. Many attendees will wear a t-shirt with the logo of their sponsor, or their own twitter handle/website logo. If you go casual, you can really pull off the look with dark jeans. Others will go business casual or even business dress for the sessions. The bottom line is to wear something that shows your personality, and make you feel like a rock star!
- Bring business or blogger cards! I have used a card strictly for by blog in the past, but I’ve recently created a sort of “online resume/biography” with everything I’m doing, and changed my biz card to match. I know, it’s a little lame with my photo on it, but I always wish I had a photo to remember people by!
- If you’re flying, tuck a duffle bag into your suitcase that you can use for swag! After the conference, put all the “extras” you pick up in the duffle, and carry it on, or check it.
- Bring your laptop. I remember Molly Gold (@myGOMOM) at Type-A-Mom conference, having to get used to people pecking away during the session speakers. Get ready for attendees to Tweet, Facebook, and blog at all times!
- Connect with your “network” before hand, and plan to meet up with them at the conference. It’s much easier to walk into an unfamiliar room with someone, rather than alone! To that end, Lisa at Simply His has started a Blissdom Blog Hop Linky for everyone who will be attending Blissdom! You can sign it below, publish this linky on your own blog as well, and be sure to visit Lisa and introduce yourself in the comments!
Also, join me Thursday at 1PM est on MomTV for my web show “GET REAL.” (Click here to set a reminder) We’ll be talking about getting ready for conferences, how to be confident, what to expect. Join us in the chatroom, or on your webcam to ask questions or share your tips! You can watch playbacks right over there on the sidebar——->
This post is included at Works For Me Wednesday at We Are That Family. Go over there for lots more tips!