To Make the Starter:
- Dissolve 1 packet of yeast (2-1/4 tsp) in 1 cup of warm water.
- Add 3/4 cup of sugar and 3 TBSP instant potato flakes.
- Store in refrigerator 1-6 days.
- Take from refrigerator and add: 1 cup warm water, 3/4 cup sugar and 3 TBSP instant potato flakes.
- Every month or so, add a packet of yeast to the starter.
- You can remove a cup of starter any time. You do not have to feed the starter to bake bread, but make sure it gets to room temp before baking.
- 1 cup starter
- 1/2 cup sugar or honey
- 1/4 cup corn oil
- 1+1/2 cups warm water
- 1 TBSP salt
- 6 cups bread flour (or 4 white and 2 whole wheat)
Originally posted in December, 2007