At the Disney Social Media Moms, we were excited to hear from Matt Jacobson, director of Market Development at Facebook. Yes, as in Facebook, the company. He was the 8th employee of Facebook in the early days. He gave us some tips and “Best Practices” for getting the most out of Facebook.
Current Facebook Trends
Trends we are seeing today, as far as Facebook, Moms, and Brands:
- Globally, borders are being replaced with connections
- Brands are building connections through moms
- 92% of moms use FB to check what family and friends are doing
50% of moms on FB find out about brands and companies through their friends on FB
How can Bloggers Use Facebook?
Advice from Matt Jacobson for best use of FB for bloggers. Here are some steps to build your brand on FB:
- Create a page and import your blog feed.
- Use social plugins: Like Button, Like Box, etc. There’s a Like Box over there? See? Go ahead and Click “Like!” —————————————>>
- Advertise to target new moms and build your business
- Use insight tools
Managing your personal and professional identities on Facebook
Make a plan to manage your personal and professional identities as a blogger on Facebook :
- Create a page and a profile for different audiences or friend groups. If you direct blog followers to your professional page, it removes the awkwardness of having to reject friend requests. Just say, “Connect with me here.”
- Control Privacy settings with friend groups. You can set the levels for each group of friends, so you don’t have to get too personal with everyone.
Share your stories!
If you have a really cool or inspirational story involving Facebook, you can tell your stories on the Facebook Stories Page: www.stories.facebook.com
There is a wonderful story of giving, started by one woman on Facebook at the 93 Dollar Club
Find New Information about Facebook Updates
Best places to find new information about Facebook, and stay up on all the changes.
What’s Coming Soon?
We hear tell, From Matt, himself, that there will soon be a new Deals Program (like groupon) coming up!
What are YOUR favorite Facebook Tips?