“It Works if You Work It”
You may have heard this line before. Besides being a slogan for all kinds of 12 step programs, it is simply the truth. I used to be baffled, because so many diet and exercise programs I’ve tried work the first time, and then after, say, I have a baby and try to get back with “the program,” I have the hardest time. The problem? I lose my enthusiasm and stop really trying.
The Wii Fit craze has sparked all types of optimism among people who generally don’t enjoy working out, that they actually have something that might work for them! And it has drawn its share of criticism for being “just the latest fad,” “pure marketing,” or “just another video game.” Some have speculated that it will be just an expensive living room decoration. The truth? It can be all of those things. The difference between those things and a successful Wii Fit experience is YOU!
Just like the other diets I’ve tried, it works if I work it! If the Wii Fit is just another living room ornament, I will not lose weight or get fit. However the Wii Fit has built in motivators that help you overcome the lulls in enthusiasm.
• Unlike the gym, You don’t have to drive anywhere to use it
• Unlike workout videos, it changes with you and challenges you as you go
• Unlike a diet plan, it can help, without a HUGE change in your eating.
• I don’t know about you, but I can’t take my kids to the gym to workout with me, yet we can all play the Wii Fit
• And the biggest motivator of all? IT”S FUN!
Having a hurt foot for the past two weeks (I may have plantar fasciitis) I haven’t been up to the workouts I did when I first started. I’ve been doing the hula hoop (which has already shaved inches off my waistline- my friends even commented on it) and the balance games, and it has still helped my fitness level, my posture, and muscle tone. I haven’t gained back any of the weight I lost (5 pounds so far) and I haven’t been dieting except portion control.
I’m writing this today to encourage Wii Fit users! Have you dropped off your regular routine? Have you stopped using it altogether? Do you feel like a failure? Well, stop right there! Don’t beat yourself up!
Get back “on the horse” and do ONE thing today!
• Start with your favorite activity.
• Create a challenge with your family, complete with prizes
• Do one thing each day until you gain your motivation back
• Don’t say, I “only” did…. Be proud of yourself for what you’ve accomplished!
Today is a new day, it’s time to seize it!
Go to The Cool Mom Guide to Fitness for more Wii Fit Mommies’ Fitness Friday