I wrote a post a few weeks ago at Wii Mommies, called “Silly Mommy, DS is For Kids!” It was all about how I had discovered how the DS can enrich my life! Here is an excerpt:
But now, she has someone else comandeering her DS! ME! Yes, I have now realized that the DS is not “just for kids.” Lest week, I got to try Guitar Hero: On Tour and it was lots of fun. Now you probably won’t see me sitting around for large amounts of time playing that, but there are so many other “games” for the DS that will really enrich my life, and that of other moms!
Now, ENTER: Personal Trainer Walking! I just hooked this up yesterday, and it is SO neat! Find out all about it in Julie’s review of PT Walking! Julie is competing against her dog to see who walks more in each day! My husband and I will be neck and neck, I’m sure to see which of us walks more! Another great result is that while I park farther away or take the stairs to try to get in more steps, my kids will benefit as well! Anyway, I’m really excited and I want to get the message out!
Soon after I started using PT Walking, my eight-year-old daughter really wanted to wear it, to see what it was like. So I strapped it on her belt loop at she went off to performing arts camp that day.
I noticed that HipChick sat still for over an hour in the morning at camp, so I was able to ask, “What were you guys doing this morning sitting down for so long?” It turns out they were warming up and learning music. I wonder how many squirmy kids they had THAT morning!
OK, so why do I mention this as an epiphany of parenting? I have recently been aware of a lot of attentioln in our society given to childhood obesity, which I actually like to call “Children’s Health.” Some kids with a sedentary lifestyle may not be overweight, but it is still unhealthy, and it may catch up with them later!
If you are concerned about your child’s activity level, Personal Trainer Walking is the perfect tool for you!
- It seems like a “game,” and it uses your child’s own Nintendo DS.
- The data is kept for up to 5 years.
- The life-rhythm charts are easy to read and talk about with your child.
- The pedometer is so small it will easily fit into a pocket or on a belt loop!
- You can set your own goals and track your achievement of goals through the PT Walking calendar.
- You can set up reward systems based on acheivement of goals, and even have contests among family members!
- This tool focuses on HEALTHY ACTIVITY, not the child’s weight! I am SO sensitive of creating control issues with food and weight, having had experience with eating disorders in the past.
- It gives you and your child control over your their health achievable and measurable progress!
Many of us send our children off to school each day, trusting them to teachers and caregivers. Wouldn’t it be amazing to have a tool to discuss any activity concerns we have? I can imagine taking the data in to the teacher and asking, “Why is it that my daughter is sitting still for three hours every morning?” No, you have to be prepared for the answer to possibly be, “Well, she takes off her pedometer and sits it on her desk during PE.” But at least it can open up a conversation!
JOIN IN THE FITNESS FRIDAY FUN! CLICK HERE TO LINK UP YOUR POST AND READ OTHERS!
Disclosure: I received DS Personal Trainer Walking for review, without any further compensation. This is my honest opinion, and these ideas are mine alone and not necessarliy endorsed by Nintendo