This macaroni and cheese recipe comes from my college roommate! She grew up vegetarian, and this was staple at their dinner table. The one somewhat costly item is the cheese, but you can find it on sale, or get it at Sam’s or Costco. However, the mushroom soup stretches the cheese farther, making it more cost-effective.
Homemade Creamy Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 lb of elbow macaroni
- 1 to 1-1/2 cans Cream of Mushroom soup (depending on desired consistency)
- 12-16 oz of cheddar cheese
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup of milk (depending on desired consistency)
1. Cook the macaroni according to the package directions. Drain and add to a large casserole dish.
2. Add the Cream of Mushroom soup, and the cheese and mix well. Add 1-1/2 cans if you want it more creamy, 1 can if less.
3. Pour the milk across the top, 3/4 cup for more creamy, 1/2 cup for less. Don’t stir.
4. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30-45 minutes, until the top begins to brown.
Let me know what you think of this recipe!
Don’t miss the next Frugal Feast! Click Here to Subscribe or enter your email address in the top right of the page.