For the last 10 years (well, 8…. my oldest daughter didn’t watch TV until my second was born…), Playhouse Disney has been a part of our household. We used to watch Bear in the Big Blue House, rest his soul, and we still sing the “Clean Up the House” song. Bear moved over and made way for great characters like Little Einsteins, Handy Manny, Imagination Movers, and more. The Playhouse Disney lineup is still one of the few networks I can turn on, and walk away to do my chores. I’m not at all worried that my kids will see something I don’t approve of.
When I heard that Playhouse Disney is changing it’s name to Disney Jr., I didn’t really know what that meant. Would it be completely new channel? A different time slot? Would they keep my kids favorite shows?
I have discovered that most of what we’ve come to know an love will be staying just the same! Disney will be adding some great new shows and shorts to the line-up, and it all starts on Valentines Day, February 14, 2011! Some of the new features will be:
- Mickey Mousekercise shorts between shows. These are very cute and get the kids up and moving, focusing on gross motor skills.
- Babar and the Adventures of Badou brings back the lovable elephant and his grandson Badou.
- Tinga Tales, the all new show about African folk-tales with a twist. I love it when my kids are exposed to stories from other cultures, and the graphics on Tinga Tales are mesmerizing!
Also, Radio Disney Junior, a music block designed for kids age 2-7, will debut MONDAY, FEBRUARY 14 (12:00 noon-1:00 p.m., ET/9:00 a.m.-10:00 a.m., PT) on Radio Disney, coinciding with the launch of Disney Junior on Disney Channel and Disney.com.
Sneak Peek of Jake and the
Through BabyCenter Blog Network, I got the chance to preview the show and tell you what I think of it, and I want to hear your thoughts too! We got a sneak peek of the new Disney Jr. Show, Jake and the Neverland Pirates! My seven and five year old girls especially loved it! Yes, girls loved a pirate show! They’ve been seeing the previews, and squealed when I told them they’d get to watch a little bit of it!
The series spins off of the ever-magical Peter Pan story, and features Captain Hook and Smee, as the evil-yet-loveable villains. Jake, along with other pirates from Neverland, have a series of problems to solve in each episode while avoiding the antics of Hook and Smee. Using the map concept, Jake and his friends travel throughout Neverland taking care of the tasks they need to defeat Hook’s plans.
Here’s what I loved about the show:
- There is an absence of gender stereotypes, as the Neverland pirates include both girls and boys. My girls love dressing up like Tinkerbell, but I also encourage them to be explorers and tackle tough problem solving just like the boys.
- The show takes kids through systematic problem solving steps. I may have some ammunition to get them to think through a problem, with “Hmm.. what would Jake do?”
- Hook is a lovable adversary. I think it’s important for kids to know that there will be difficulty in life, not everyone has your best interest at heart, but not to scare them. The character of Captain Hook accomplishes that, in my opinion.
- MAPS! Every kid loves a map, especially a pirate map! I expect to find a few homemade pirate maps around the house. Hey! Maybe I’ll even use that for a snow/rain day activity! Better yet, I’ll have them go outside and make treasure maps!
- The map and obstacle concept has been done before, but as long as the “Jake” writers keep coming up with fresh and creative ideas, the kids will be intrigued, and the show will hold their interest. Also, Jake’s map brings in the concept of North, South, East, West, which I love.
- OK, I debated on saying this, but… The Neverland Pirate Band guys that do the music videos are kinda creepy and slobby. The songs are cute, but I would have cast those guys TOTALLY differently. Maybe they could just clean them up a little? But that’s probably just me. I’m dying to hear what you think!
All in all, Jake and the Neverland Pirates will most likely become one of my kids new favorite shows. Set your DVR for the first episode on the Disney Channel Monday, February 14 at 8:30 est.
To get some sneak peeks of the show:
- Check out the Jake and the Neverland Pirates website here.
- Play Jake’s Treasure Hunt Game here.
- Play the game “Ready. Set. Hook.” here
- Check out the Disney Jr. You Tube channel here!
Here’s the promo for the new show. Let me know what you think! Will your kids watch this show?
This post is a sponsored post in conjunction with the BabyCenter Blog Network.
Disney Jr. “Jake” Slingbag Giveaway
GIVEAWAY IS CLOSED! The Winner is Mason, with her comment, “All of us at the Heistand household loved the trailer. I have a three year old (for two more days) who is having a pirate birthday party on Saturday. We live and breath pirates. We’re looking forward to more of Jake!!”
Enter here to win a Disney Jr “Jake” Sling Gift Bag! The Gift Bag includes
- Disney Jr. Journal
- Water bottle
- Jake t-shirt
- Jake and the Neverland Pirates stickers and tattoos
How to Enter: Leave a comment saying what you think of the change to Disney Jr. and your impression of Jake and the Neverland Pirates.
Extra Entries: Leave a separate comment if you:
- are a Real Life RSS Subscriber (Subscribe by reader) (Subscribe by email)
- follow @RealLifeSarah on Twitter
- Share this giveaway with friends, however you choose to do so. (only once please)
- Post this Giveaway on Twitter- only once please. (must include @reallifesarah and #DisneyJr) Here is an example Tweet:
Get a sneak peek of #DisneyJr Jake and the Neverland Pirates & #win a gift bag from @reallifesarah! http://ht.ly/3Tr2S
(I do this to thank subscribers/followers with an extra chance to win!)
Consider following Real Life on Facebook! I would love to connect with you there! Remember to share with your Facebook Friends! Use the Facebook share button at the top, or “Like” this article below!
This contest will be open to Continental US Residents 18 or older, through February 13, 2011. One winner will be chosen by random number generator, and notified by email. Winner will be responsible for claiming the prize by email.