Every year, we go to a dollar store, or another discount store, I give the kids each a certain amount of money to purchase gifts for another child. There is something about having them go to a store, where they really want some of the items, and buy those items for someone else. And when we make it a huge family affair, it makes it more meaningful!
One year, we were in church small group with one of the Samaritan’s Purse videographers, Tracy Eakes. We had a packing party at small group one week with all the kids (we had about 20 kids in the group, no lie!) Tracy knew he was going on a trip to film the distribution of the boxes, so he made sure to take our boxes with him. He then filmed the kids getting OUR boxes that we packed, and played it for us when he got back! It was such a treat for the kids to see the fruit of their giving, and make a personal connection.
Another way to make a personal connection is to include a picture of your family and a note to the cihld who receives your box. You will get chills when you read this story by Holly Johnson, a SC mom about how OCC boxes connected them to lifelong friends accross the globe: It All Started with a Shoebox
Here’s a little video featuring Shannon Kozee from Operation Christmas Child about packing a box. You can also take a peek into the national distribution center in Boone, NC!
So we are going to have a great time sharing stories, and I can’t wait to read yours! Here is how to participate:
OCT 26-NOV 5: Write a post on your blog sharing what OCC means to you. One winner will receive a Veggie Tales DVD Prize Pack!
- Stuffed Larry the Cucumber and Bob the Tomato
- Veggie Tales 25 Favorite Christmas songs CD
- Saint Nicholas: A Story of Joyful Giving DVD
- A Little Golden Book – Saint Nicholas: A Veggie Christmas Story
- Veggie Tales family devotional (one day sample)
- 2 activity booklets for kids w/ VT coupon
Link your post in the Linky below, and don’t forget to link back here so others can participate! Please do not host a linky on your own site, so that all participants will be eligible to win the prize!
Your Carnival Post Could Include:
- Extraordinary Shoe Box Story Have you ever received a letter from a child who received your shoe box and corresponded through letters?Has your church “adopted” a community because of a shoe box gift?Do you have a heart for a certain country and then learned your shoe box gift was delivered there?
- Leaders Do you lead a large group or church that packs shoe box gifts every year?Have you ever hosted or plan to host a huge packing party?
- Passion for OCC Have you participated in the project for a number of years? \
- Other Powerful Stories Has your community or group become closer because of this project?Do you have an amazing story about how the Operation Christmas Child project has impacted you or someone you know?
- Your plans to pack shoeboxes this year
The Veggie Tales Winner will be announced here, but you don’t have to be present to win! You can get on your webcam with us, or you can join in the chatroom during the show! It’s always a lot of fun!
OCC Fact Sheet (PDF)
OCC Home Packing Party Guide (PDF)
YouTube Promo Video
Are you going to Join in? Leave a comment and let us know! Click here to sign up for future “Bloggers Care” email alerts!
If you’d like to put the button on your site, you can use this code. I will change out the image depending on the campaign that is taking place, or replace it with a generic Blogger’s Care badge. Don’t feel pressured, but I would be honored.
<center><a href=”http://www.reallifeblog.net” target=”_blank”><img border=”0″ alt=”Bloggers Care Button” src=”http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk253/RealLifeDesign/Real%20Life/BloggersCareButton.gif”/></a></center>
Full Disclosure: I do NOT receive any compensation whatsoever for this outreach.
Powered by MckLinky
- Girlfriends Get Real
- Kimba @ A Soft Place to Land
- Mels World with Melissa Mashburn
- Stephanie – Getting Involved @ somewhat simple
- BEKmom OCC post!
- Impress Your Kids – Operation Christmas Child!
- Mummy Deals (45 boxes for $45 by watching sales!)
- I LOVE KID CRAFTS & OCC
- Jess@ Brixton Lane
- Its time to shop for Operation Christmas Child!
- Amy @ Living Locurto
- oh amanda
- Operation Christmas Child – MissMouthy.com
- Muthering Heights
- Donna@WayMoreHom emade (Operation Christmas Child)
- Why I do what I do every Christmas Season.
- Christmas is Coming!
- MamaHall : shoebox lessons
- Link to my OCC posts. : o) Thanks for doing this!
- Kristy @ Sliding Down The Stairs
- I WANT TO GO TO THERE : Sy Family Shoebox Story
- Operation Christmas Child is Dear to My Heart
- Kristie @ Kristies Notes
- Run DMT
- Everything Stacy @ElsklingDyr
- Bay @Queen Mother Blog – Shoebox Ideas
- Mandi @ Its come to this
Get your free Mcklinky here…