About this time of year, I start thinking about where this blog has been and where it’s going… well, where I’m going for that matter…
I’ve branched out this year from just writing about my faith and family life, to trying to make a future career out of this internet media/ writing/designing/ product-review thing. I think the pendulum has swung widely one way, just as an experiment. I suspect that the pendulum will swing back a little toward the personal and faith writing this year.
Here are the new places we’ve been this year:
- I began a local Mom Blog, called High Country Mom Squad to connect moms in my small town with the best activities, restaurants, companies, etc. Also to get out family focused news. It has gone very well, but I know I could do more with it. I’m handicapped by my lack of tech and marketing knowledge, but I’m awesome at networking and creating buzz!
- The High Country Mom Squad turned into a TV show on our local access station, and I found I really like doing TV/ Video! So I was able to merge the Show and the website. You can peek at the Holiday Episode here. (don’t laugh at me, I know I need improvement)
- I started Vlogging at New Baby.com to fulfill my new-found interest in video blogging, and to practice being comfortable in front of the camera.
- I began Real Life Review to try my hand at product reviews. I really love the review process and working with PR companies and small businesses. My career has taken a turn into mom-marketing withmy local blog, so it has given me a lot of good experience.
- I also started designing blogs at Real Life Design, and added my good friend, Jamie to the mix! I have learned so much about graphic design, and I think I’m pretty good at it. This has by far produced the most income this year, and I know God used it to provide for our family.
As I look toward the future, here are my concerns:
- I’d like to send Little Pea to Pre-School next year. I’d like my career activities to provide enough income to cover the cost, and to help my hard-working husband with the load. He has broken his back working as a teacher and landscaping in the summers, and I’d love for him not to feel so much pressure.
- With that said, I am still a Stay/Work-at-Home mom right now, and I can’t neglect my family. Over the holiday break, with my kids at home, I have noticed such a huge difference when I spend more time with them. I have been working around the clock and I need to be here for them in the afternoons and evenings.
- Although I have loved doing product reviews, it hasn’t brought the traffic that I anticipated. There are so many bloggers doing giveaways and reviews right now, it’s hard to stand out.
There are a few scriptures I am holding on to, since I am at a loss as to how to proceed.
- In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps. Poverbs 16:9
- For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11
- I am the vine, you are the branches. If a man remains in Me and I in him, he will bear much fruit. John 15:5
Would you pray with me?
- That although I have many plans in my heart, God will show me how he is ordering my steps.
- That I would listen to Him well enough so that I can hear His plan for the future.
- I know there are parts of my life that are not “in Him,” and are not bearing fruit. I pray that He will help me prune these branches, so that everything I do can bring Him glory.
Anyway, what do you think? Have you had any of these thoughts about your plans for 2009, on your blog and in your life?